Braised Short Ribs
Braised Short Ribs
Cookware/Items used for this dish:
- 3.5 Qt Versa Pot with White Cover
- For larger quantity 10.5 Qt. Versa 100% Ceramic Dutch Oven
- Wild Cherry Natural Wood Slim Spoon – 13″
- 8-10 Organic Beef short ribs
- Ground Himalayan Sea Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- Splash of Water
- 3 Whole Shallots
- 5 Organic Carrots
- 5 cups beef broth
- ½ cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, a couple of pinches on each rib. Rub the salt and ground black pepper in the ribs, then dredge in flour until well coated. Shake off the excess flour and set aside.
- Heat Versa Pot on the stove top for a minute, or Dutch oven, turn the heat on low, then add Olive oil.
- Add the ribs on a hot oil and brown on all sides. Remove the ribs from the Versa pot or Dutch oven and set aside. If all the ribs does not fit in the pot, saute in two batches.
- Lower the heat and add 1 diced carrot, celery, minced garlic and chopped onion to the pot and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Splash with the water and scrape the bottom of the pot with wooden spoon. Pour in the broth, Tomato sauce, Tomato purée, 1 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt and 2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, and bring to a boil. Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- Add the ribs to the sauce, and peeled shallots, then place 4 whole peeled carrots on top, dry parsley and fresh whole rosemary sprigs. Bring it to boil.
- Cover the Versa pot or Dutch oven with a fitted lid and transfer to the preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow the ribs to cook for about 2 hours, or until the ribs are fork-tender. Remove the pot carefully from the oven and let it rest under the lid on the stove-top for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, polenta or grits.
- You may use Xtrema large Dutch oven or Versa pots 3.5 Qt. Or larger.
- If you are not cooking in the oven, turn the heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours and 30 minutes under the lid.
- You may ask your butcher to cut the ribs in half for faster cooking.
- For gluten free option use Arrowroot starch instead of flour.